Thursday 6 January 2011

Who'd Like A Cocktail? #111

Is it wrong to find a centuries old immortal blue man throwing up funny?
Christmas and New Year delayed me getting hold of my comics hence the bumper delivery today!

  • DCU LEGACIES #8 - man, does this bring back memories! Superman's death, Batman being broken and - most of all - GL Hal Jordan going nuts and becoming Parallax. Having been a long time Jordan fan I was aghast at the idea of him being replaced - not that I had anything against Kyle Rayner, just the thought of Hal not being Green Lantern was weird.
  • GREEN ARROW #7 - much of a muchness once more; I'm sure it was meant to be touching having Green Arrow swap a few words with his dead mother but it didn't really do much for me. Artwork's lovely, though.
  • GREEN LANTERN #61 - the Spectre's back and attempting to kick ass once more! And hey, Atrocitus comes up with something that gives the big white spook some pause.
  • GREEN LANTERN CORPS #55 - the Weaponer takes on all comers and Ganthet's secret alliance with Atrocitus comes to light in a particularly colourful way, all of which leads to the Sinestro Corps turning up. This series is cracking along at a lovely pace.
  • GREEN LANTERN: LARFLEEZE CHRISTMAS SPECIAL #1 - this was as entertaining as I think everybody expected it to be. Johns clearly enjoys writing Larfleeze and it was a joy to read. I think I'd have preferred a Larfleeze ongoing rather than a Red Lantern series.
  • NEONOMICON #3 - Alan Moore writes H.P. Lovecraft inspired sex scene shocker! And is poor old agent Brears now pregnant with Cthulhu?!? Fantastic art and a wonderful take on the whole Cthulhu mythos.
  • JUSTICE LEAGUE: GENERATION LOST #16 - okay, so Fire managed to survive but Blue Beetle's been captured by Max Lord, no doubt leading to the horrible events that may or may not happen. Meanwhile, I'm left wondering when Power Girl's costume developed leggings?!
  • JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #52 - is it me or has this series picked up again? Maybe it's the Multiverse angle or maybe it's the New Gods thing, but for the first time in ages, I'm really enjoying this. I'm not a fan of Robinson's casual death toll but on the whole this is pretty good.
  • JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA #46 - where as this . . . I'm still undecided. Yet another minority character appears to die (but I've seen nothing on the scale of the outcry following Ryan Choi's death or even Blue Beetle's) and I can only hope things are going to improve.
  • POWER GIRL #19 - I'm still liking this series despite Winick which is just me being contrary, I suppose. I know there's the plan to cross-over between this and Justice League: Generation Lost but I am going to object to the flashback sequence showing Power Girl in action with Fire, Ice, Booster Gold and Blue Beetle. PG was in Justice League Europe, not America. Or is this some repressed memory and we'll find she was in the JLA all along? Taking the story at face value, I'm enjoying it. Looking at the details, I get angry. That's the Winick effect, I guess.
  • TEEN TITANS #90 - this series continues to improve following the departure of the last writer, with Krul seeming much more at home here than he does on Green Arrow. And is that Robin bonding with Ravager I see?
  • TEEN TITANS: COLD CASE #1 - a nice one-shot that was picked up on a whim, really.
  • ZATANNA #8 - Zatanna explores her fear of puppets with gorgeous art by Cliff Chiang. Again, the forgotten memory thing has been done to death but at least here it had a nice pay-off with Zatanna's father actually mind-wiping her when she was a small girl!
And what made me smile:

Detective Chimp visiting a counsellor!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for wanting to leave a comment, but this blog is no longer maintained. Feel free to visit my new site/blog over at

crisisonearthprime.com

Look forward to seeing you there. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails